Wednesday 6 August 2014

Elephant Quilt WIP

I've got some progress to report from my early morning sewing sessions on my quilt. It's going to have a slight elephant theme going on, so I got to do some fun applique first...






Since I'm going down a quilt as you go kind of route I then sewed these straight on to my wadding - the chopped up wool blanket pieces. And started building up the piecing around them.

 A piece for the top of this elephant applique...


Once it was assembled I sewed it straight on to the elephant piece right sides together...


And then ironed it back over...


And added lines of quilting to sew it down. Here it is with the bottom added in the same way...


And then side pieces one at a time in the same way...


Building up to cover the whole wool piece...




This one started as a log cabin kind of design, adding one side at a time directly on to the wool...



And then I switched to strips as above.



Here's another one completed...




And one more just started...




I've got eleven to do altogether, so still a way to go, but it will be lovely to not have to worry about the quilting when they're done!


It seems like ages since I last did, but today I'm organised enough to be linking up with WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced and Lets Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts.

Sally.







10 comments:

  1. Those elephants are darling, and the log cabin quilt as you go blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally amazing, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! I love the way you jump into projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are just the cutest elephants! How fun! This project is really taking shape, Sally. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your quilt and your process. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm.... That's an interesting way of making blocks. I've never seen the like before. I love your appliqués and your matched them with beautiful fabric. I'm looking forward for the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I love the elephant theme - it's beautiful and the colours are so soft and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the elephant and the 'how to' on quilt as you go .. now I get it. Well may be, I'm going to try. Will you join all the blocks together and then add a backing? I have a single bed sized multicoloured wool blanket that I want to use as a backing so its eskimo pie colours show but am thinking a quilt as you go front might work. I don't think I have the skill to quilt something that big or heavy or slightly stretchy once its make up. Feel free to make suggestions, I have loads of scraps and fabrics for the front, just not sure how to join the two! Its why i've not quilted anything for ages .. I have fear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone should have a pink elephant. Thanks for sharing your design process. It was fun and fascinating to see. I always love your use of colour and fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!