Monday 12 May 2014

Bake Off Report and a Winning Cake Recipe!

If you're trying to avoid eating cake at the moment for any reason, then I really don't think you should read any further! There are a lot of photos of some amazing cakes coming up from our local fund raising 'Bake Off' at the weekend...





Wow!


Love this colourful cake made by a littler one!


 

Love the addition of the flowers here.

Amazing looking icing
 
Raspberries - yum!


I love these little Flower Pot cupcakes - these would be very cute for a party

These look so good!

As well as all these (and lots more) amazing cakes, there were some gorgeous crafty goodies for sale too.







Sadly, my cake didn't make it. My Mum was very poorly at the weekend and things went a bit pear shaped here. Happily, my Mum now seems to be on the mend and they raised over £1400 for the local Chemotherapy Unit Appeal. Amazing!

My lovely friend, Michele, won the 'Best Whole Cake' category - for the second year running! Here she is with her winning cake:

Looking very happy with her new superstar cake maker status, I'm already scared for next year, Michele! 
Her winning 'Lemon and Blueberry Cake'...





And she's very kindly sent me the recipe to share with you all. Here it is:



Lemon and Blueberry Cake

Sponge
12oz soft butter 12oz caster sugar 6 large eggs 12oz self raising flour 3 level tsp baking powder 5oz blueberries Buttercream
20oz icing sugar 10oz soft butter 3tbsp of natural greek yoghurt 5oz lemon curd Method Preheat oven at 180 deg c. Lightly grease and line 3 x 8inch sandwich tins. Measure the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and beat for two minutes until well blended. Add the blueberries to the mixture. Stir in gently Divide the mixture between the 3 tins. Bake for 25mins until well risen and golden. Turn the cakes out and cool completely. Make the buttercream by beating together the icing sugar butter and yoghurt. Set half of it aside. Spread lemon curd then buttercream on top of two of the cakes. Sandwich the three cakes together. Then cover with the remaining buttercream. Decorate with blueberries and lemon zest.

I think I might have to try it out too, it looks and sounds delicious.

Sally.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness those cakes look so good! And some of them are true pieces of art. Congratulations on the money raised, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Glad that I can't eat, just looking! Maybe they won't go to my thighs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gained 5 lbs just reading the post. I'm glad your mom is on the mend. Michelle's cake is gorgeous. I love lemon and blueberries and I can't wait to try the recipe. What is caster sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friend's cake look simply scrumptious...I love lemon and blueberry together. How sweet of her to allow you to share her recipe with us. Yummmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!