Thursday 3 April 2014

Seaside Quilt Research

So this would have been a WIP Wednesday post, only I'm not quite sure what happened to Wednesday this week. It seemed to zip by in a blur I'm afraid. But I've got a new WIP on the go. It's an extremely tricky WIP that is requiring much important research. It's going to be a seaside themed quilt, so here's a bit of my research...






You might remember I mentioned that I fancied making a seaside quilt in wools after I'd finished up the Farm Quilt. That vague idea has been fuelled by our recent visits to the sea, and then to cap it off I've just come across this artist on Facebook - Kirsty Elson Designs. She creates 'sculptures' from driftwood she finds on her local beaches. Here's one of her pieces:



I really love her work, and it has just the kind of feel I've had in mind to try and recreate in a quilt. So I ignored my other WIPs and I started! I haven't got very far, my extensive research has been getting slightly in the way. But I have gathered together a lovely collection of wools, drawn a very rough sketch (on the back of an envelope!), come up with a hazy, half baked plan to translate said sketch into patchwork and sewn 2 strips.
 

Doesn't look like much yet really I'm afraid. But I'm hopeful it might turn out just as I imagine it. You may have to bear with me though, since, after tomorrow, I'll have all 4 little ones off on holiday, who will appreciate the research trips far more than the sewing time!

I'm too late to link up with the usual WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced, although they do have lots of other lovely looking WIPs worth a browse, but I'm not too late for 'Lets Bee Social' at Sew Fresh Quilts - hurray!

Sally.






6 comments:

  1. That is some great research, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you at the Let's Bee Social party, Sally! Your research photos look like fun! The inspiration you found with the works of Kirsty Elson Designs is fantastic. Can't wait to see what comes next with those two pieced strips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your photos... reminds me of a little village we rode through on a bike tour in Ireland! Great research and I LOVE the driftwood sculpture! Fascinating look of woolens! Can't wait to see your piece! Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsty Elson's work is beautiful, thanks for the link. I love the fabrics/colours you chose for this quilt. For me, they definitely evoke the feeling of beeches, driftwood and sand, which are all wonderful memories from my childhood. I can't wait to see where you go from here. Your "research" photos are an absolute delight to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your visit to the beach looks wonderful! The colors you chose for the quilt are perfect...they definitely say "seaside" to me. Can't wait to see the finished product. Have fun with your kiddos this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, knowing your work, there are a million thoughts going through my mind of what your quilt will look like! I cannot wait to see it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!