Thursday 27 March 2014

Quilted Farm Play Mat

I've been so preoccupied with my new mini quilt this week that I haven't shown you the farm quilt from last week all finished up.


As you can probably see the gates all 'open', and the barn door too.






I finished it off with a few extra details - like the button flowers around the house, and button door handles.



And a few fish in the river.


 But generally I stuck to leaving it open for imaginative play, since, as a play mat,  that's what this was designed for. It would be lovely to make a bed quilt along these lines too, and get to put more on that - like the sheep, pigs, chickens etc.

Usually I like to make a 'quilt bag' for quilts I give as presents, but this time I decided to have a bit of a change and make a cushion cover...


It's just the right size to fold up the quilt and stuff the cushion with it.


It was definitely a fun quilt to make, and I think it would translate well to making it in bright, cheerful cottons as well.  But I really enjoyed using the wools and it's got me wanting to make another 'picture' style quilt from wools now - maybe a seaside scene.

Back tomorrow,

Sally.

PS Oops, almost forgot, I'm linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday over at My Quilt Infatuation today.

10 comments:

  1. He loves it so much, it's not been away since Saturday. I'm tempted to by a cushion filling for the bag as can never see it being away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love that. It's beautiful. So textured and tactile looking. The wool looks fabulous.

    I'm quite excited about doing another quilt soon - I have Dr Seuss ideas in my head at the moment! But I can't seem to make a quote and a quilt match up lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just amazing!!!! You are inspiring me to do something like that for my son. We have all the farm animals downstairs. Did you use a pattern? Or did you just design it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's incredible. I love it.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is too cool! I love all of the details!

    Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the play mat is fabulous!!! One lucky little one is going to have loads of fun with it! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wicked cute and intensely creative; you did a super job.

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!