Tuesday 22 October 2013

Back from holiday with a perfect, portable craft...

I'm back! We had a lovely, long weekend in Cornwall with some beautiful sunshine, stunning beaches and brilliant waves. It almost felt like a little extra bit of Summer holiday all over again, and I've come back feeling refreshed, full of ideas and slightly addicted to sea food - especially crab!

And predictably you're going to have to browse through my holiday photos today!

We feel like we're spoilt, living in Devon, with the gorgeous beaches all around us. In fact, usually if we go away and go to a beach elsewhere I'll look around and wonder why we bothered. But, I have to admit, I think the patch of Cornwall we were in (just north of Padstow) has got Devon beat on beaches - only by a whisker, mind you. It seemed like there was a beautiful bay or secluded cove just round every corner. And the waves (and the surfers!) were a class up on those in Devon too. So here are a few beach snaps to show you what I mean.

















Definitely a gorgeous stretch of coastline, and although it was a little windy...


That didn't put us off making the most of the sea and those amazing waves...





That's it for the holiday snaps then. Thank you for putting up with me! And although it was good to have a (short!) break from my beloved sewing machine - yes, really! - I couldn't possibly not take a bit of hand sewing with me, could I?!

I've been very short of any hand sewing this Autumn, I haven't had any particular projects on the go and I seem to have been doing most of my quilt binding totally on the machine with my recent quilts. So I ended up taking something completely different to anything I've done before - Plastic Canvas. I came across this idea in a blog a couple of weeks ago and immediately knew it would be perfect for something I've had in mind to make for ages. I'll tell you a bit more tomorrow, including the blog that set me off, but for now I'll show you a little bit of what it looks like so far...

It was the perfect portable craft - fun, very addictive and also very popular with Venetia, Theo and Maria. Venetia has finished two circles for me now (the bottom one in the photo above is one she did), and Theo is well on the way to finishing his first (Maria started several, but enjoyed unthreading them as much as she enjoyed sewing them!). I did take several photos of them all busily sewing at various times over the weekend, but, unfortunately, those photos are all mysteriously missing now we're back home - I have a feeling Theo may have destroyed the photographic evidence of himself intent on sewing pretty, pink patterns! (And, by the way, they're not going to be coasters!)

That's it for today. It was good to be away, but it's good to be back now too. Hope you all had a great weekend as well, and tune in tomorrow for more on the plastic canvas, Sally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I love to hear from you!